Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dominican Republic

We are finally here! After a full day of traveling we made it! This morning we worked in the area of Sante Fe and did a VBS with the children. It was a definite success. We all had so much fun! The children were laughing and running around. It was such a great sight to see! As the team leader, I have been here before and some of the the things we are doing I have done before but some also are different. We went to a hospital this afternoon, which I had never been to, and that was tough. We prayed for each of the children and gave them each a stuffed animal to maybe help them feel better. There was a language barrier that was hard to get around. But we managed to some how get what we wanted to say across. 
One really sad thing I discovered today was that the orphanage that I spent a great deal of time in when I was last here is no longer in existance. The government came in a took it away from the people who were running it. This was a very big shock because I was under the understanding that we would be going to visit it again when I was here. The children we all moved to another orphanage in a nearby city but now the city of San Pedro (where we are based out of) no longer has anything for the orphans and they are forced to be on the street. 
On a more happier note, I recognized a couple of the children in Sante Fe when I had not expected to.  
Pray for the weather here. When it rains it makes it hard to get around so we are hoping for a little more sunshine.
Also continue to pray for our team and the children we will be ministering to that it would be a great as the success this morning or better! 

-Renee McIntyre, DR team leader

No comments:

Post a Comment