Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Still kicking in Cambodia...

Chume reap sua! We're now here at Freedom Hotel in Seam Reap, Cambodia. We are loving everyday here and always learning new things! Seriously, God has been so good to us! For starters - I know God has brought us of us here because we mesh together perfectly! We are 7 amazing friends and have had so much fun together. I have loved getting to know Aimee, Loren, Hannah, Zoey, Ashton, and Angela. They are 6 amazing women of God and He is doing great things in and through us.
We have all adopted Khmer names that our missionary picked for us. Sri Leak, Sri Nanng, Sri Navid... Also, we all together decided what animal we each look like. I (Jewel) am a kangaroo. Aimee is a baby lion. Loren is definitely a fish! Angela is definitely a snake! Hannah is a beagle puppy. Zoey is a deer. Ashton is a koala. We also pick an animal for everyone else we meet too. (Vandy=pandy, Greg=baby bird, Tito=lizard, Arun=parrot, Kimsan=Mufasa..)
Happy Mother's Day to our moms and all the moms out there! We love you very much and want you to know that we are well taken care of and having an incredible time. I hope that you have a wonderful day. To my mom: happy birthday!
This afternoon on our way to Siem Reap from the Bible college, we stopped at a rest area which is also an outdoor market. As we opened our van door, we were immediately flocked by children selling mangos, pineapple, and an assortment of fruit. They say: "2 for $1" and that if we do not give them money, then they cannot go to school and they will cry. Three of the girls also had live tarantulas hanging from their collars. I was terrified, but I am very proud of my girls who were brave enough to hold one in their hand! I am also very proud of Aimee for eating a whole duck egg! Everyone did try a bite or more.
Tomorrow we will attend our first church service. We have a skit prepared about Paul and Silas in jail, and Ashton will be sharing her testimony. Angela and Hannah have already shared theirs, and Aimee and Zoey also shared devotional messages with the students at the WBI.


Please continue praying for us. Each day has new experiences and we continue learning. Pray that our eyes will continue to be open to see the things that can teach us. God, help us to be radical in our faith and show us how to reach the people who are different from us (the beggars, the crippled...)

Thank you!!



A word from Loren::

Hi everyone! I am doing great! Everything is so beautiful here and the people are great! I love working with the children, they are adorable and so happy! Thanks for praying for us and please continue to keep us in your prayers, that we would stay healthy and have strength. Pray that we would allow God to shine through us. Thanks!

Miss and love you Mom Dad Dani and Michael. I am doing great :)

2 comments:

  1. Jewel - Jun is going to make me eat a duck egg this week before I leave. Please call him on Greg's phone and stop him.
    I am glad you're having a great time.
    You won't see me when you get home because i lost my passport so i'm staying here (jk - i wish though).
    Love you! ~Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee it looks like you girls are doing amazing work over there! I can't wait to hear more of your stories :) I am so proud of you for eating that egg! I miss you so much.. I'm going through withdraw. I keep wanting to text you and oh yeah, you're across the world. Stay safe, lots of love!!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete